Monday, September 3, 2012

Burgers & Fries



It only takes one quick look at my midsection to realize I'm a fast-foodie. I love junk food in all forms, but mostly what gets my mouth watering is a juicy cheeseburger and hot salty French fries. I'm really spoiled for choice of fast food restaurants in the Philadelphia area, including the suburbs where I currently reside. You won't find me starving anytime soon. I decided to make a quick lunch of the burgers and fries of the major chains, then give my rave reviews or rant about the poor taste. My reviews are in no particular order, but see where your favorite fast food establishment ranks on my list of the best and worst.

Cheeseburgers will be graded on flavor and quality of meat (scale of 1 to 5):
5 = Hamburger Heaven
4 = Palate Pleasing
3 = Good, but Nothing Special
2 = Bad, a Tastebud Travesty
1 = Meaty Mess

French fries will be graded on freshness, crispiness, taste, and overall quality (scale of 1 to 3):
3 = Fantastic Fries
2 = Starchy Sticks
1 = Putrid Potatoes


Burger King
Cheeseburger (back then): 4
Cheeseburger (now): 2
Fries (back then): 3
Fries (regular, older): 1
Fries (thicker, newer): 2

When I was young, my favorite fast food chain was Burger King. I remember returning from middle school with a couple dollars in my pocket and buying a Whopper. Back then, I could see the burgers on a broiler conveyer belt making their way down the line and being put together on a bun with lettuce and tomatoes. The cheese was fully melted and the taste was juicy, like real homemade meat. Later on, Burger King had changed and for the worse. Their French fries used to compete with McDonald's fries and both were very good. But Burger King decided to go with new fries that were coated with something that made them taste artifically crispy. The taste factor dropped. Their burgers nowadays are pre-cooked, placed in plastic trays awaiting an order, at which point the burger would be taken out of the plastic tray (think "sweaty meat"), placed on a bun, then put in a microwave to heat up. Absolutely disgusting. Sometimes the cheese on top wouldn't even be melted properly. What happened to flame-broiling? One thing is clear, "fresh" is not in Burger King's burger vocabulary. At least they slightly improved their French fries with a thicker cut. Hard to believe, but their fries are "meatier" than their burgers. Sorry, my childhood friend, but we must part ways.



McDonald's
Cheeseburger: NA
Fries: 3

After a rather unfortunate incident where I bought and ate a Big Mac just hours before a dental appointment, which resulted in me throwing up the food, I no longer eat McDonald's burgers. I don't feel it would be right to review their meat since I haven't eaten any in years. But I will say that not being able to choose which topping I want to go on my burger is a major minus in my book. And I really don't understand the extra bread between the two meat patties in a Big Mac. As for their French fries, I had the opportunity to visit a McDonald's in the Hong Kong airport, when I was taking a connecting flight to the Philippines. Even at the airport, the fries were pretty darn good. Or maybe I was biased, because I had just finished eating airline food and I needed a fix of junk that the Golden Arches provided. There is a reason why McDonald's fries were rated tops in a national survey. They're good, plain and simple.



Wendy's
Cheeseburger: 3
Fries: 1

For me, Wendy's has always been the fast food restaurant of choice for the elderly. No matter what location or what time of day, I'd never fail to see at least two elderly couples enjoying their food inside the place. I can see why. The Wendy's hamburger is a middle-of-the-road tasty meat. Where's the beef? Wendy's got it. There's really nothing offensive in the taste, other than to say the burgers can be a bit oily at times. Maybe the oil is a cover-up for its lack of juiciness, but the oil does give the meat a stomach-souring aftertaste. I guess it depends on which Wendy's restaurant you buy your food. Hit or miss with the meat, for sure. The problem with Wendy's fries is that they're mostly under-cooked. I hate under-cooked French fries, because they have a soft texture and I really don't have the appetite to eat them. Wendy's recently changed their fries. Now they have potato skins and added sea salt. Sea salt is not a bad idea, but potato skins on French fries are not my thing. Some people like them, but I don't. I find myself having to throw out half of the container due to the under-cooked, dried potato-skin fries. Just a waste of money. Epic fail on Wendy's new fries.



White Castle
Cheeseburger: 1
Fries: NA

If you're not really hungry and want a light-tasting hamburger, go to White Castle. Their burgers are small with a taste to match their size. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but White Castle's hamburgers seem to be the adult equivalent of baby food, bland in taste and barely palatable. As with McDonald's, I haven't been to a White Castle restaurant in quite a long time, but the original "fake meat" taste of their burgers still lingers in my mind and on my taste buds. I don't remember their fries at all, so I cannot comment. I guess Harold and Kumar won't be seeing me there anytime soon.



Sonic
Cheeseburger: 3
Fries: 2
Tater Tots: 2

For me, Sonic is a relatively new fast food experience. I like the 50's style drive-in feel and their extensive choice of fast foods, such as hot dogs and chicken sandwiches. If I had to replace one of the major chains with Sonic, it would be Burger King. Sonic reminds me of an earlier style Burger King, but their hamburgers are more reminiscent of a modern Wendy's, only not so oily. If you're driving by, Sonic's burgers make a good quick eat-and-go meal, but if you're going out for a serious gut-busting burger, Sonic won't impress. Sadly, I had high hopes when I first tasted their French fries and tater tots. A couple of times the fries were slightly on the under-cooked side (see Wendy's fries). Their tater tots were cooked, but just like the fries, they lacked that unique potato taste. Would I go back and eat at Sonic? Sure, it's a quaint place to have a quick burger and fries, but I just don't expect to be overly thrilled about the taste. Mediocre is their middle name.



Checkers
Cheeseburger: NA
Fries: NA

Honestly, I don't remember the taste or quality of a Checkers burger or fries. I do remember originally liking their beef patties and French fries when the chain first opened up, but I haven't been back to their restaurant in years, much like McDonald's and White Castle. I guess their food didn't impress me enough to go back. I don't think it's fair for me to assess their burgers and fries after so many years, so I pass on commenting.

Lastly, the surprise entry...



Roy Rogers
Cheeseburger: 5
Fries: 3
Extra points for the fried chicken!

Roy Rogers restaurants used to have a competative presence in southeastern Pennsylvania, with a few locations in Philadelphia, particularly in the NE (off the Boulevard on Bustleton Avenue) that I used to visit. Now, the only Roy Rogers I see are at the service stations along the New Jersey Turnpike, when I make my way to JFK Airport in New York. These turnpike Roy Rogers are not the best quality, but still good enough to remind me of the original flavor and enjoyment I had when eating their food. For me, Roy Rogers is the height of burger bliss. Their single cheeseburgers always have a consistent homemade taste with a non-oily juiciness. And the best part? The Fixin's Bar! I can pick whatever green leaf of lettuce I want to put on my burger and, more importantly, pick the perfect slice of tomato that I like. Talk about freedom of choice! I have always loved Roy Rogers restaurants, for the food and for the ability to choose (literally) the toppings I wanted. If Burger King's slogan was "have it your way," then I truly did with Roy Rogers. And the French fries were the best, thick-cut, real potato-flavored fries that I grew to love. Burger King's new thick-cut fries just don't compare. Even McDonald's fries fall short, thin and short to be exact. No, seriously, if you want a good burger and fries, you cannot go wrong with Roy Rogers. This would be my last meal of choice. I'd die with a smile on my face and a belly full of happiness. God bless you, Roy Rogers!

And that concludes my review of the best (and worst) burgers & fries. Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel hungry and I'm thinking of taking a trip up the NJ Turnpike. Bon voyage and bon appetit!

~Andrew K.

No comments:

Post a Comment