Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Dishwashing Machine


Today, I almost got into a fight with my wife, and over the silliest thing. What is the point of having a modern kitchen appliance and not using it? You see, we have a dishwashing machine. It's not a fancy machine, just one of those that can do a good job if you know how to use it correctly. Basically, you open the dishwasher door, place on the inside upper and lower racks your plates, pots and pans, and even utensils (they go in a special basket to keep them secure and away from any moving parts), close the door, then press three buttons in succession, which starts the dishwashing cycle. About 30 minutes later, the machine is done and your plates, pots, pans, and utensils are nicely washed and all you have to do is dry them (if they're still a bit wet) and put them back in their appropriate cabinet or drawer. Voila! Problem solved. Now off to watch a sports game on TV or something.

But what you say got my wife out of sorts? Well, she wanted to wash the dishes. Why? I have no idea. She won't tell me. I guess I'm the one who doesn't know how to communicate, right honey? Oh, I hope she's not the kind of wife who feels that technology is taking her place. Is the dishwashing machine the enemy? Is the domestic goddess feeling a challenge to her household immortality? Why stand there and suffer, cleaning the dishes, when we have a kitchen appliance that will do the job and not complain? Sometimes, we fail to take advantage of the advantages we have in our modern-day lives.

Certainly, we must acknowledge that machines like dishwashers, dryers, laundry machines, microwaves, even blenders and beaters have made our lives simpler, less tiring, and have saved us precious minutes in our lives to do something else more interesting. The funny thing is that I'm suppose to take my wife out shopping today for some winter clothing. Honestly, doesn't she appreciate my efforts to save her time in the kitchen so she can spend that time (and my money) at the clothing store? I guess she's upset because I didn't give her want she wanted, the ability to say "I can do it all."

Yes, honey, I know you can do it all. That's why I love you and that's why I married you. Don't see this as an attempt for me to undermine your authority in the kitchen. We have a machine, it washes dishes, let it do its job so we can spend more time together. Capiche? Good. Now let's go get you some winter clothes.



As we leave the kitchen, I hear the dishwashing machine let out a little "whirring" sound, as if to say, "I won."

~Andrew K.

No comments:

Post a Comment